Saturday, August 9, 2008

Far Too Gone

Exhausted are the tunes I had for you
Blithering idiots give a round of shattered
applause; they embrace images of themselves
Reflecting back at them through cracked glass

I wore a secret around my neck of a ribbon
made with blue and an empty locket created
Hollow like the promise of friendship; and
a fleeting facade of memories we never made

So I took it off and put it down and let it
fade away-- It swings gently on the closed
door of my bedroom every time I leave
Like a vague recollection of my existance

Another eyelash fell today upon my cheek
And I wiped it away without blinking; I will
not waste a wish on your unhappiness--
The independent nature of my dependency
would never allow it.

Lovers aren't forever but friends are for
never, and such is the nature of life; better
to be gone than rebel against that and maybe
in truth, I'm far too gone for you.

But for old time's sake let's write this final
verse, sing an old remembered song; and
I will flit away on that last sweet melody,
you always did like that pretty note.

I didn't write this for you.

No comments: